NVLD-Friendly Colleges and Universities

I’m putting together a list of NVLD-friendly colleges and universities in the US and Canada. I feel it would be helpful to know at what schools we’d have the best shot at success before applying.

The list is here: NVLD-friendly Colleges.

To add a school to the list, please reply with the following info:

• School Name
  • Major
  • School Location (City/State/Province)
  • NVLD-Friendliness as a score between 0 and 10
  • Why you gave the school the score and/or your experience at the school

I’ll update the list as the replies come in!

I’ll kick it off
School Name: New York Institute of Technology (NYIT) - Manhattan Campus
Major: Computer Science (did not graduate)
School Location: Manhattan, New York City
NVLD-Friendliness: 5
Reason for score:

NYIT accepted me on condition that I attend remedial math courses because of bad math scores.

Getting accommodations set up was pretty simple. I just sent my neuropsych eval and IEP to the accessibility office, and I was good to go.

The school allowed me to take my exams at the accessibility office (more quiet and with fewer distractions than the classroom) and gave me double extra time as recommended by the neuro-psych eval.

Beyond that, however, there wasn’t much help. Math was painful. I withdraw and re-took several courses numerous times. Chegg became a very good friend.

The school made a good effort at doing the bare minimum, but overall I wouldn’t go there again.

Your experience in college brings up some interesting points for further discussion. I think that most attempts at “accommodation” are, well, sorry, can’t figure out another word to use, bullshit. They are the absolute minimum, and in your case and mine, obviously inadequate. Just making us take “remedial” courses does not solve our problems. This becomes a matter of pedagogy, (the methods used to teach and what needs to be taught), not just “extra time” “less distractions” etc. We get a bit o lip service and are then forced to continue to compete.

What would a fair, equitable and effective curriculum look like, that wouldn’t exclude us from entire fields of study?

I had a miserable time all the way up through grad school, and I should never have gone all the way through the process of getting a grad degree from a crappy state school, which is all I could get into because of my (surprise!) terrible math scores, even though I had been practicing and being coached for the test for 2 years prior to my taking the GREs.

Anyway, these “accommodations” are not the answer, IMHO.

As for me: Undergrad: University of Louisville, KY (fucking disaster), Antioch College (Yellow Springs, OH), which was an interesting school, now totally defunct, that had a system in which you took classes one semester and then went on an “internship” doing work that ostensibly gave real life experience the next, and so on until graduation. Had way too few students on campus, which made things difficult socially, and ultimately I couldn’t afford it, particularly because even by that time it was increasingly difficult to find internships that paid, driving me further into debt. Very unfortunate, because I had several teachers who treated me better than I’d ever been anywhere else, and were actually interested in my development as a biologist. Graduated from the Evergreen State College, which is an interesting place in that it’s almost tailor made for people with NVLD/DVSD/ that is you’re one of the mouthy ones like I am. Classes, outside of labs, tended towards a round table discussion format, meaning the more you contributed the better your evaluations (no grades at Evergreen, which can create other problems later on…). I actually WOULD consider this school if you have NVLD, but it’s become expensive for out of staters. I planted trees and otherwise worked like a mule for a year before applying in-state. Still went into debt.

Grad school (University of Oregon, Eugene, OR) was a total nightmare. I absolutely would NOT recommend this place unless things have radically changed and neurodivergency taken seriously.

Very interesting perspective! Great to hear from someone who has experience at multiple institutions.

I rated Evergreen a 10 and Louisville and Oregon as 0; if you feel differently about them, please let me know.

Did you major in Biology? That seems correct based on the post but I don’t want to be presumptive.

Either way, thanks for your contribution! I updated both the table and the map with the three schools.

Sorry, kind of missed the rating system here - but I’d give Evergreen an 8, as the system was good for me but for people who are not of the “hustle or die” mindset you might get lost.

As for University of Louisville, they certainly deserved a 0, as did the University of Oregon. Things might have changed, but at the time, they had no infrastructure, understanding, or interest for that matter, in trying to accommodate neurodivergent students.

School Name: Radford University
Major: Psychology (minor in biology.)
School Location: Radford, VA USA
NVLD-Friendliness: 5

I would say they are average. I submitted my paperwork and then had a meeting with someone from the accessibility center to discuss what accommodations would benefit me. It was pretty straightforward. I am allowed extended time on tests, use of a calculator on tests, use of the testing center so I don’t have to take tests in-class, and use of a recording device during lectures. Like most colleges, they can’t allow anything that would “fundamentally alter the course material.” Every semester (ideally during the first week of class,) I have to meet with each of my professors either in person or via Zoom and have them sign off on my accommodations, otherwise I can’t use them. That part gets a bit tedious. Like, this could have been an email :smile: But I’ve never had a professor challenge my accommodations and they have all been pretty nonchalant about it. I found my accommodations weren’t enough for me to succeed in math and chemistry, so I had to switch from a biology major to a bio minor. As someone with NVLD + dyscalculia, I don’t think I could succeed in chemistry (crazy amount of math involved) unless it were offered as a pass/fail class or for me to just be allowed to skip it, so maybe biology just wasn’t the right major for me.

Great points. Something I would add is that there aren’t enough options for specialization, especially at the undergraduate level. Maybe I want to be a biologist but want to specialize in something that doesn’t heavily involve chemistry and math. Maybe I just want to do field work or something. Do I really need 2 semesters of general, 2 semesters of organic, a calculus class, a physics class, etc. when I’ll probably never use that information after I graduate? Could there be a version of these courses that focuses on practical skills for those who don’t need to go so deep into the theory? Just a thought.

Interesting experience @OrangeCatEnergy, I updated the list/map with your contribution.

Calculus was brutal (I majored in Comp-Sci, so they were required), and I took Chemistry since I had to take it, physics or biology. I skated by with the minimum passing grade in both.

I have never used even an ounce of that knowledge in the field.

1 Like